Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
Corazon

Why is the X23 based on the GX4 and not the GX6?

So it is quite obvious the upcoming Volla Phone X23 is based on the Gigaset GX4. But I am wondering why is it not based on the Gigaset GX6 instead? The GX6 is in my opinion much better than the GX4 especially in terms of 5G support, which the GX4 doesn't have.

Basing the X23 on the GX6 would allow the X23 to much better compete against the Murena Fairphone 4, which is the closest competition.

I hope someone from Volla can answer.
Volla

Re: Why is the X23 based on the GX4 and not the GX6?

The Volla Phone X23 is not based on the GX4 or GX6 model. We do not sell Gigaset devices. Rather, we commission Gigaset to manufacture Volla Phone models in a small series for the Volla brand. We use components that are exclusively manufactured for Volla.

The fact that Gigaset manufactures Volla Phone models for us is often confused in social media with the assumption that we would trade with device models from Gigaset.

We have equipped the Volla Phone X23 with a young, powerful processor MTK G99, more powerful than for example the processor of the GX6 model of the Gigaset brand. In addition, our Volla Phone X23 is equipped with 6GB of RAM and 128GB of persistent storage, more than Gigaset's GX4 model, for example.

Enjoy the day!
Corazon

That does not seem accurate. The MediaTek Helio G99 used in the X23 and the Gigaset GX4 has 2x Arm Cortex-A76 and 6x Arm Cortex-A55 cores. The MediaTek Dimensity 900 used in the Gigaset GX6 has 2x Arm Cortex-A78 and 6x Arm Cortex-A55 cores. This is important because the Fairphone 4 uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 750G, which has 2x Arm Cortex-A77 and 6x Arm Cortex-A55 cores. So if the X23 were based on the GX6, one could claim that it has a faster CPU than the Fairphone 4. If it were based on the GX4, one cannot.

Regarding the argument that the X23 is not based on the GX4: well besides the OS, storage amount, memory amount, and some custom engraving, how else is the X23 different from the GX4?

I'm not trying to be necessarily snarky here. I would just like Volla to put forth a viable competitor to the Murena Fairphone 4. It is likely that Fairphone will release the Fairphone 5 this September, with the Murena version shipping a few months after that. So the window of opportunity to compete with the latest model of your nearest competitor is relatively short. If the X23 had been based on the GX6 instead, then it would have been an opportunity fulfilled.
BongoBong

Corazon hat geschrieben: So 2. Apr 2023, 19:29 I would just like Volla to put forth a viable competitor to the Murena Fairphone 4.
That's so weird. Fairphone 4 or 5 are completely different comparing to X23, that is a rugged waterproof phone.
Plus GX6 is so much more expensive.

Basing the new Volla phone on GX4 seemed natural.
Corazon

BongoBong hat geschrieben: Do 13. Apr 2023, 20:19
Corazon hat geschrieben: So 2. Apr 2023, 19:29 I would just like Volla to put forth a viable competitor to the Murena Fairphone 4.
That's so weird. Fairphone 4 or 5 are completely different comparing to X23, that is a rugged waterproof phone.
Plus GX6 is so much more expensive.

Basing the new Volla phone on GX4 seemed natural.
Both the X23 and the Murena Fairphone 4 are privacy-conscious, IP-rated phones with a user-replaceable battery. But the FP4 has the advantage of 5G and a few other advantages. If the X23 were based on the GX6, then most of these advantages disappear or are lessened. The buyer then just needs to make the trade-off between ruggedness vs. repairability and weight, for example.

Yes, the GX6 is more expensive, but at the same time it means less reason to upgrade in the future and better longevity of your device. It better capitalizes on the user-replaceable battery feature.

There was also nothing stopping Volla from releasing an X23 based on the GX4 and an X23 "Pro" based on the GX6, at the same time. That is because the GX6 was actually released before the GX4. That way, buyers have more choices at different price points.

Zurück zu „Volla Phone“