Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
user02

U.S. Customers Data Bandwidth

Hello,

I am using T-Mobile as my carrier. My speeds, without wifi, are about 1.0 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload. I want to start this conversation to see if anybody else is experiencing this issue and found a solution. Or if the manufacturer has a solution in the works for this.

User
edjec
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

Re: U.S. Customers Data Bandwidth

I ordered a Volla 22 with Volla OS/Ubuntu. It shipped on 9/06/22 and I received it on 9/08/22. Can't ask for anything better than that.

It seems like a nice, well-built phone, but Verizon and ATT reject the IMEI immediately. T-Mobile (Mint Mobile) also rejected the IMEI but allowed me to activate the SIM manually. However, they will only allow emergency calls and no texts. Under About, Phone number 1 displays Unknown and SIM1 status shows Emergency calls only.

Currently, 2G/3G and most of 4G LTE have been shut down, with 4G VoLTE and 5G about all that is available.

Has anybody in the US had success linking this phone with a carrier? If so, which one? Are there any tricks involved and does it function normally?
climatexplorer
VollaPhone mit: Ubuntu Touch

I am also using T-mobile in the US with Ubuntu Touch. It does connect to the network and allow me to surf the internet at 2G speeds only. I tried redpocket which did not work so at least T-mobile is functional. Any thoughts on which network is the best to use in the US???
edjec
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

climatexplorer,

The Volla, Volla X, and Volla 22 will only connect to 2G in the US. The 2G 1900 MHz band or possibly a 700 MHz band in some areas are the only bands that are compatible here. The remainder of the frequencies supported by either phone are utilized in Europe and Asia, but not here.

T-Mobile (or any of its MVNOs) is the only provider that will work with the Volla phones at this point. T-Mobile originally stated that they were sunsetting their 2G network on 12/31/22, and ceased subscribing new customers using 2G in mid-2022. However, the reality is a bit different. After 12/31, T-Mobile did appear to reduce the 2G network coverage and bandwidth, but shortly after that bandwidth became stronger and available in more locations.

There is a huge dependency on 2G from industry, utilities, and government entities for such use as signs, parking meters, electric and gas meters, etc. which all depend on the 2G network to function. Sunsetting the 2G network would render millions of devices useless. I'm not aware of any public announcement that the 2G network would remain in service, but logic dictates that it will continue for some time.

That said, I just traveled from Utah to Central PA and found the 2G network to be undependable outside of metropolitan areas. The more industrial the area, the stronger the network. More rural areas seemed to be completely abandoned as coverage was non-existent.

With the T-Mobile network, calls and SMS work well, but MMS is a bit iffy, as images over 1MB may not transfer. Keep images at a lower resolution to send or receive successfully. I have yet to be successful in sending or receiving a video image of any resolution.

Some Volla owners had been able to transfer an existing and functional SIM card into the Volla, but I don't think that is possible anymore since the IMEI checking procedure is much more strict. Because the Volla phones are not listed in the IMEI databases, I and others I know of were only able to activate the Volla 22 on the T-Mobile network by spoofing the IMEI number. To the best of my knowledge, it is not illegal in the US to do this, but I'm sure that will change.

With the recent announcement of Volla's new sales partner in Washington state, a new NAR model is surely in the works. I've not seen any specs released, but it will no doubt support 4G VoLTE at the very least. An image of the Volla X23 is presented on the website, but this may just be a placeholder. We'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed...
r3xk3nnw4y
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: currently running android 13, evacing as fast as i can

would you mind sending me a link to that announcement? id very much like to read it

Thank you
Rex
edjec

Rex,

I detailed info about this in a recent post. View it here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=902

I asked for an update on this, but so far - it's been crickets...

Zurück zu „Volla Phone“