Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
edjec
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

What appears to be happening here since July is that these three carriers are not allowing any devices to activate on their respective networks that do not support 4G Volte and 5G, regardless of whether or not they may support the older networks.

Case in point: I am currently using an HTC One M8 Windows phone and it functions perfectly on the Verizon network. However, when I checked the IMEI number with each of these providers, they all rejected the number and stated that the phone is incompatible. It works fine now, but they won't allow it on the systems because it doesn’t support the new networks and they will be shutting down the networks it does function on.

As an anecdote, there was a news report here within the last few days that quoted AT&T as stating that devices older than a 2022 model will not be able to access their 5G Plus networks. The carriers here are moving on and abandoning the earlier networks.

I have also tried Roaming, and again, no network.

I then input your interesting code (I was not aware of this one) and have attached screenshots of the resulting data. There is no connection using active Mint Mobile or Verizon SIM cards.
Volla hat geschrieben: Mi 14. Sep 2022, 18:34 We are discussing this topic both with our supplier for the manufacturing of our devices and as part of our plans to become an MVNO ourselves. We will also try to get in touch with one of the carriers.
This is heartening news! Thank you for taking this seriously and please keep us informed of your progress. As I and others have stated here; we love your phones and really want to be able to use them!
Sie haben keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Volla

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

All Volla Phone Models with Volla OS are supporting VoLTE in a 4G network. However no model support 5G network yet.

You say, that you can connect to the Verizon network with a Windows phone, that is also shown as incompatible? That could be a good news, that Verizon is not blocking a device because of it'S IMEI number.

Can you conform data connection or is both not working: data connection and phone calls.

Here is the screenshot of my device.

Screenshot_20220915-115159_Telefondienste.png
You may also check the IMS status, that is relevant for phone features:

Screenshot_20220915-114642_Telefondienste.png
The text should be in english something like registered für the first entry and available for the 2nd entry.

Best greetings
Sie haben keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Volla

There is also an option to select the preferred network type. I would appreciate, if someone would check some furhter settings.
edjec
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

Volla hat geschrieben: Do 15. Sep 2022, 12:05 However no model support 5G network yet.
Yes, I am aware of this.

That could be a good news, that Verizon is not blocking a device because of it'S IMEI number.
That may be correct, but Verizon (and all carriers) reject the Windows phone IMEI number. I believe this is because, although the Verizon network currently supports the Windows phone bands, they are not allowing any devices of this vintage new access. My Windows phone is grandfathered in until Dec. 31, when they shut these networks down.

Here are the responses I received when checking the IMEI number:
Verizon IMEI check: Oops, Looks like your device is no longer supported on our network.
T-Mobile IMEI check: Sorry, this device can’t be used on the T-Mobile network.
AT&T IMEI check: Your device is not compatible with the AT&T network.

FYI: here are the frequencies supported by the Windows phone:
HTC One M8 HTC6995LVW Released: 2014, March 27
IMEI:99000569467####
GSM - 850/900/1800/1900
CDMA - 800/1900
UMTS - 850/900/1900/2100
CDMA 2000 1xEV-DO
LTE Bands - 3/4/7/13 – Verizon

I tried to access the Windows phone information with the *#*#4636#*#* code, but this must not have been available when this model was made.
Can you conform data connection or is both not working: data connection and phone calls.
Neither Voice nor Data connections are available. In the screenshot below you will see that Emergency Calls are allowed, but there is no phone number assigned, Roaming is not available, Data Service is disconnected, and Data and Voice Networks are unknown. (I discovered how to take screenshots) ;-)
Screenshot_Phone_Info.png
There is also an option to select the preferred network type.
I have cycled through the Preferred Network Types and none have worked.

Also, you will see a voicemail icon showing one is waiting. This is a robocall spam message that was already on the network when I activated the SIM card. I cannot access the network to delete it.

Here is the IMS Status:
Screenshot_IMS_Status.png
Results of the Ping Test:
Screenshot_ping-test.png
I have the Radio Bands set to Automatic.

Here are statements directly from Verizon concerning the changes:
3G CDMA Network Retirement
As Verizon continues to build for the future, we would like to keep you up to date with some important activities.
We are actively decommissioning our 3G CDMA network and expect to be completed by no later than December 31, 2022.
As we continue with these changes to our network, we are also actively working with impacted customers. We will continue to update you with any important information as we get closer to this date.

What does CDMA (3G) network retirement mean to me?
After December 31, 2022, if you are a Verizon customer still using a device that is 3G (CDMA), 4G that does not support HD Voice (Non-VoLTE), or 1X, the device will no longer be able to send or receive text messages, use data services, or make or receive calls, including emergency 911, on the Verizon network. Until this date, your device will still be able to use these services.

How do I know if I have an impacted device?
Device models that are 3G (CDMA) and 4G that do not support HD Voice (Non-VoLTE) will be impacted.

What services are currently still supported for my device?
CDMA (3G) devices and 4G Non-VoLTE devices will continue to make/receive calls, including emergency 911, send/receive text messages, and use data services on the Verizon network until December 31, 2022.

Additional information can be found here:
https://www.verizon.com/about/news/3g-c ... er-31-2022

Please note that AT&T and T-Mobile have already made these changes and they are specific to the North American bands.

I hope I have provided the information you need. If there is anything else I can check, please let me know.

Thank you for your support!
edjec

As an addendum to the above post, here is a graphic of the bands used by carriers in the US as of July 2022 compared to German carriers.

mobile-data-volume-tutela-2020.png
germany-lte.png
Volla

The table looks good so far. The Volla Phone 22 supports more frequencies than the previous models:

GSM/2G: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
UMTS/3G: 900 / 2100
TDD/LTE/4G: 2300 / 2600
FDD/LTE/4G: 700 / 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

850 MHz is also supported by the Volla Phone and Volla Phone X.

So the Volla Phone Models should work in USA. However I learned, that the carriers are using different frequencies in different locations. That could explain, that we have confirmations of a working Volla Phone in the US cellular network and some reports about a problem to connect to the network.

It also may make a difference, if you have sIM card of a reseller (MVNO) or the cellular network operator.

We had already some deep discussions, also with our hardware manufacturing partner. The last comment suggests, that devices are blocked even if there are compatible. It's possible, that the network carrier want's to have a license payment per device, at least for 5G.

It's a quite unique situation in the US. A solution also could be, that became a NVNO our selves. Thant network carriers are forced by contracts to connect and law devices. I'm pretty sure, that roaming is working properly.

Maybe there is someone with a SIM card form a mon US carrier, who can check this.
edjec

However I learned, that the carriers are using different frequencies in different locations
Yes, that is the case. Frequencies of 850 MHz and lower are primarily used in rural areas, with the higher frequency bands used in urban regions. Bands 4 and 66 are dual frequency bands with 1700 MHz freqs. used for uplink and the 2100 MHz freqs. used for simultaneous downlink (Verizon).

The following information may not be the most current or accurate as to the individual Bands’ role in transitioning into the 5G era. References to the 2 & 3G bands do not indicate whether or not they are being transitioned into the 4G VoLTE or 5G bandwidths.

Here is a breakdown of all the individual LTE bands that AT&T uses and their role:
• Band 2 (1900MHz frequency range): a core AT&T LTE band with 20x20MHz blocks in most markets.
• Band 4 (AWS-1700/2100MHz): this AT&T LTE band is used as a supplement for improved capacity and is usually deployed in small, 5x5MHz blocks.
• Band 66 (AWS-3-1700/2100MHz): AT&T LTE band 66 is a superset of band 4, meaning that it includes all of the band 4 blocks plus adds a few more. AT&T usually deploys this in 10x10 chunks, and you could commonly see it in the New York and New Jersey areas. It is actively being deployed.
• Band 5 (850MHz): this AT&T LTE band is used most commonly for 3G (HSPA+ ) connectivity, but some of it also goes toward LTE. AT&T owns a lot in this frequency range throughout the nation, and band 5 is sometimes used in areas where there is no band 12/17 coverage.
• Band 12/17 (700MHz): the backbone of AT&T's LTE network and it provides practically nationwide coverage.
• Band 14 (700MHz): AT&T has a nationwide license for band 14. The carrier acquired these bands from FirstNet and they will be used for a federally-funded public safety channel. These will only be deployed in states that opt-in to the FirstNet service.
• Band 29 (700MHz): this is a supplementary channel. AT&T purchased this from Qualcomm and it is mostly deployed in a 5x0 configuration, meaning that you get one small 5MHz block for download (in some limited places like the California coast and northeast you have 10x0 blocks). This band cannot be used for upload.
• Band 30 (WCS 2300MHz): another supplementary band for 4G LTE. AT&T has deployed chunks of 10x10 across the nation.

Here is a detailed breakdown of the 4G LTE Verizon bands in use:
• Band 2 (1900MHz): A Verizon band is actively transitioning from 2G/3G for use for LTE. It is currently a supplementary carrier that brings more capacity to the network and is commonly deployed in 10x10 chunks.
• Band 4 (1700/2100MHz): This Verizon band has solid amounts of these bands that it deploys in larger, 20x20MHz blocks in many markets.
• Band 66 (1700/2100MHz): this is a superset of band 4 (meaning that it has all the frequencies of band 4, plus a few additional blocks). It is usually deployed in small chunks and it is not available everywhere.
• Band 5 (850MHz): A Verizon band still in use for 2G/3G services in some markets, while for others, it is using this band for LTE. Verizon holds a lot of this spectrum nationwide and usually deploys it in 10x10 blocks.
• Band 13 (700MHz): A Verizon band that is the backbone of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network. Verizon has this rolled out to most markets across the nation, but since it is usually deployed in rather small 10x10 chunks, it could become congested fairly easily.
• Band 46: These are frequencies in the 5.9GHz spectrum that the carrier has started using as of 2020.
• Band 48: This is a CBRS band that is unlicensed yet but has been in use since September 2019.

And here is an overview of the T-Mobile bands:
• Band 2 (1900MHz frequency range): this is a band mostly used in rural areas, or where band 4 is not available. It has a higher reach, and it is widely used in the Northeast to provide 4G coverage to distant places. T-Mobile has deployed various chunks of spectrum, from smaller 5x5 blocks to larger and speedier 20x20 blocks. This band is also used for 2G and 3G.
• Band 4 (1700MHz/2100MHz): the backbone of T-Mobile's LTE network. This T-Mobile band is usually deployed in large 20x20MHz chunks in most markets, providing fast speed and a stable connection. Used for more densely populated areas.
• Band 5 (850MHz): Extremely limited use. Most band 5 coverage is offered by Verizon and AT&T. T-Mobile only operates LTE on this band around the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area.
• Band 12 (700MHz): This is T-Mobile's "extended range LTE" band, used mostly as a complimentary band for coverage in rural and suburban areas, and it is similar to band 71 in function. It is supported on most phones.
• Band 66 (1700/2100MHz): an extension (superset) of band 4, this band is supported on devices since late 2016.
• Band 71 (600MHz): the big win of the FCC auction for T-Mobile, this band was previously used by UHF TV stations. T-Mobile band 71 is owned by the carrier all across the nation in big chunks and will be deploying it in the near future. Since this is a 600MHz range band, it will have wider coverage and will improve coverage inside buildings. It is supported only by newer phones like the 2018 series of iPhones.
It also may make a difference, if you have SIM card of a reseller (MVNO) or the cellular network operator.
Of this, I am not sure. I have checked many of the better-known MVNOs and it appears to me that the IMEI check function of each vendor routes through the main carrier. As such, my results have always been the same regardless of Carrier or MVNO status.
that devices are blocked even if there are compatible. It's possible, that the network carrier want's to have a license payment per device, at least for 5G.
Now, there’s a thought… Love it or hate it, that’s how most things work on this side of the pond.
A solution also could be, that we became an MVNO ourselves.
Please, pursue this option. It will certainly expose exactly what is happening here.
edjec

I just discovered this on Mint Mobile as to what phones they will activate:
A phone that supports network bands 2, 4, 12, and 71 is ideal
The Volla 22 covers bands 2 & 12, but not 4 & 71. This is probably why they have blocked it.
Volla

There was a positive review of a US Blogger and YouTuber about the Volla Phone X. This matches the confirmation of US users of the Volla Phone and Volla Phone X within the US cellular network of Mint and T-Mobile.

I will ask in our community, who can confirm roaming with one of the Volla Phone models in US cellular networks. This would confirm, that the device is technically compatible.

We also will ask our candidate for a US distributor again. He was excited about our devices after testing them. We would like to start official sales in the US with all formal requirements.
edjec

Volla hat geschrieben: There was a positive review of a US Blogger and YouTuber about the Volla Phone X. This matches the confirmation of US users of the Volla Phone and Volla Phone X within the US cellular network of Mint and T-Mobile.
Yes, I just viewed a video review made last week. I did reach out to him and he told me that he is expecting a new Volla 22 this coming week and will let me know if it also works on his network.

I tried several more times to activate with different MVNOs and they all rejected the IMEI. I even used a VPN connection to different cities around the country to spoof my location with no luck.

Zurück zu „Volla Phone“