Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
edjec
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

In the following lists are first the Bands and Frequencies supported by the Volla 22, followed by the Band Descriptions (bands, frequency ranges, and global range). The last list is that of the bands and frequencies supported by the US carriers. The US bands are blue to provide a quick visual of the corresponding bands supported by the Volla 22.

Two major bands used in the US are Bands 4 and 66 (1700/2100) and these are not supported by the Volla 22. However, there is wide national coverage of the 700 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies by the Big-3. On paper, the Volla looks like it should function in most populated areas of the US, but as we know, it is being blocked.

Volla 22 Bands and Frequencies:
GSM/2G: B**-850 / B8-900 / B3-1800 / B2-1900
UMTS/3G: B8-900 / B1-2100
TDD/LTE/4G: B40-2300 / B38-2600
FDD/LTE/4G: B*-700 / B20-800 / B** - 850 / B8-900 / B3-1800 / B1-2100 / B7-2600
*See notes – could be NAR or EU/EMEA
**B5 or B26? Either way it is provided in the US, but in limited areas

Band Descriptions:
Band Name DownLink/UpLink Region
(middle freq.)
B1 2100 2140/1950 Global
B2 1900 PCS 1960/1880 NAR
B3 1800+ 1800/1700 Global
B5 850 881.5/835.5 NAR
B7 2600 2655/2535 EMEA
B8 900 GSM 942.5/897.5 Global
B20 800 DD 806/847 EMEA
B26 850+ 876.5/831.5 NAR
B38 2600 2595 (TDD) EMEA
B40 2300 2350 (TDD) APAC

*Notes:
There are seven FDD 700MHz bands
B12 700 a 737.5/707.5 NAR
B13 700 c 751/782 NAR
B14 700 PS 763/793 NAR
B17 700 b 740/710 NAR
B28 700 APT 780.5/725.5 APAC/EU
B68 700 ME 768/713 EMEA
B85 700 a+ 737/707 NAR
Which Band is supported by the Volla 22?

Legend
EMEA Europe Middle East and Africa
EU Europe
NAR North America Region
APAC Asia and Pacific

NAR companies use UpLink/DownLink in their specs (of course…)
AT&T
B2 1900 PCS Largest band, most markets
B4 1700/2100 Supplemental
B5 850 3G Transitioning to LTE?
B12 700 Nationwide
B14 700PS Very limited use
B17 700b Nationwide
B30 2300 Supplementary
B66 1700/2100 Mostly East Coast

T-Mobile
B2 1900 Rural
B4 1700/2100 Populated areas, largest band
B5 850 Myrtle Beach only
]B12 700 Rural
B66 1700/2100 Supplements B4
B71 600 Future

Verizon
B2 1900 PCS Transitioning to LTE
B4 1700/2100 Most markets
B66 1700/2100 Supplemental
B5 850 Transitioning to LTE?
B13 700 Most markets
Volla

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

It might be a good ides to publish a list of confirmed carriers (maybe wit the location) on our FAQ page.
jbriones95

Volla hat geschrieben: So 18. Sep 2022, 12:06 It might be a good ides to publish a list of confirmed carriers (maybe wit the location) on our FAQ page.
Yes. This is very important. Once I get my 22, I'll be confirming what carriers work int he United States :)
edjec
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

Volla hat geschrieben: So 18. Sep 2022, 12:06 It might be a good ides to publish a list of confirmed carriers (maybe wit the location) on our FAQ page.
Yes, please do! It's a bit of work, but so important to your international customers.

I think the overlying reason AT&T and T-Mobile outwardly reject the Volla/Gigaset IMEI number is simply because it is not in their databases. This may or may not be the issue with Verizon as they state that the device is either "No longer compatible", Not compatible, or an Invalid IMEI number.

Could Volla reach out to these three carriers to see if it is possible to have the IMEI numbers included?

Thank you Volla/Hallo Welt for your persistence in solving this!
Volla

Ok, let's collect what we have.

What did users in that forum already check for Volla OS on Volla Phone 22?
  • Cellular network operator
  • Cellular network provider/contractor. Where is your SIM card from?
  • Are voice calls working?
  • Is cellular data woring?
  • Your location (state, urban/rural
I will ask our partners in the USA and contact cellular network providers..
edjec

Volla hat geschrieben: Ok, let's collect what we have.

What did users in that forum already check for Volla OS on Volla Phone 22?
  • Cellular network operator
  • Cellular network provider/contractor. Where is your SIM card from?
  • Are voice calls working?
  • Is cellular data woring?
  • Your location (state, urban/rural
  • Cellular network operator - Currently with Verizon, but the SIM will not activate in the Volla 22.
  • Cellular network provider/contractor. - Where is your SIM card from? Verizon and Mint Mobile (T-Mobile)
  • Are voice calls working? - No.
  • Is cellular data working? - No.
  • Your location (state, urban/rural) - Salt Lake County, UT/Urban.
I have checked the following carriers and MVNOs, always with the Volla OS and twice with Ubuntu at Verizon and Mint Mobile (T-Mobile) using the active SIM cards I have with both carriers. Since Ubuntu does not support VoLTE, I didn’t expect it to activate.

Online IMEI checking through the carriers was performed at the following with their responses:
• AT&T - Incompatible device. Your device is not compatible with the AT&T network.
• Sprint was shut down on July 1, 2022.
• T-Mobile - Incompatible device. Sorry, this device can’t be used on the T‑Mobile network. Please upgrade to a device that can access our most powerful signal, Extextended Range LTE, which utilizes our most powerful 600MHz signal and Voice over LTE (VoLTE). Your phone may not be eSIM-compatible.
• UScellular - Sorry, we don't recognize the make/model of this device.
• Verizon - The device ID you entered is not valid.

MVNO IMEI checks were performed at:
• Boost (AT&T and T-Mobile) –Store visit - Laughed at me for buying the Volla, and told me to return it because I would never get it activated in the US.
• Consumer Cellular (AT&T and T-Mobile) - Your current phone is not compatible with our service.
• Cricket (AT&T) - Apologies! This GS5 is not compatible with the Cricket Network due to network changes. (Cricket correctly identified the IMEI)
• Good2Go Mobile (AT&T) - Your device is not compatible.
• Google FI (T-Mobile, UScellular) – Only specific phone brands and models allowed, no IMEI check.
• Metro (T-Mobile) – Incompatible device. Sorry, this device can’t be used on the T‑Mobile network.
• Mint Mobile (T-Mobile)- It looks like your (missing model) isn’t compatible with us. Mint does have the Gigaset brand in their database, but no compatible (GS5) models. Mint Mobile requires these bands: Bands 2, 4, VoLTE, and recommends these bands: 12, 66, 71, and eSIM (optional).
• Mint Mobile (T-Mobile) – Manually activated, bypassed IMEI check with a trial SIM card. Only allowed Emergency calls. No data, WiFi calls, or voice calls.
• Net10Wireless (AT&T, T-Mobile, UScellular, Verizon) – No BYOP coverage. (Bring Your Own Phone)
• Spectrum Mobile (Verizon) - Sorry, your device is not eligible.
• Tello (T-Mobile) - Oops! Your phone is not compatible with our GSM network. The device must support VoLTE on bands 2, 4, and 12. However, for the best service on our GSM network, your phone should have at least 1 of the following bands in addition to the previous 3: Bands 5, 66, and/or 71. Only models manufactured for the US market will activate on our network - phones made for overseas markets will not work.
• Ting (T-Mobile) – Check IMEI not functioning.
• Ultra Mobile (T-Mobile) - Uh Oh, Unfortunately, your is not compatible with Ultra.
• Visible (Verizon) - Your current phone doesn’t work with us.
• Xfinity (Verizon) – Will only allow iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, or Pixel phones.
Volla

IMEI checks are not relevant. We have confirmations, that a Villa Phone or Volla Phone X can be used with a negative IMEI check. It would be very helpfull to collect the experience of users, which have tested a Volla PHone Model with their SIM card.
edjec

I have tested with active and working SIM cards:
  • Cellular network operator - Currently with Verizon, but the SIM will not activate in the Volla 22.
  • Cellular network provider/contractor. - Where is your SIM card from? Verizon and Mint Mobile (T-Mobile)
  • Are voice calls working? - No.
  • Is cellular data working? - No.
  • Your location (state, urban/rural) - Salt Lake County, UT/Urban.
edjec

Here is my latest attempt at activating the Volla 22:

Today I received a SIM kit from US Mobile (MVNO for AT&T, T-Mobile, & Verizon) which I ordered because the website led me to believe the phone could be activated on their system. However, upon installing the cards, I was again presented with the “Emergency calls only” message on the T-Mobile/AT&T card. No voice calls, WiFi calls, cellular data, or text messaging. The Verizon card is now strictly 5G, and of course, not activated.

I contacted their customer support and immediately they wanted the IMEI numbers. They responded that the phone was not compatible with their network.

I replied that people in other areas of the country were using the same phone on their networks by swapping the SIM card from older phones and the Volla 22 was successfully activated.

Their response?
Yes, upon checking again it appears the device is not compatible for other users if it is working and that is also incompatible it will be disconnected sooner or later.
So apparently the IMEI is important because I cannot get past the IMEI check with any network carrier. As far as I can see, I am now out of options to find a carrier for this phone as no carrier will activate it.

What other options do I/we have?

Zurück zu „Volla Phone“