Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
jamesm067

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

Hello,

The Volla 22 Phone is based on the German made Gigaset GS5. Gigaset is a huge manufacturing company in Germany, that is or was part of Siemens at one point.

Anyway, the Gigaset GS5 phone uses a Mediatek G85 board. I am currently trying to find out what the correct firmware for that board, so that I can make an attempt to flash a new IMEI onto that board. I believe that the mobile network carriers are blocking IMEI numbers from the German made Gigaset GS5 (aka Volla 22) phone. At least, that is my view, based on my experiences. The IMEI number includes a TAC number and that TAC number is probably what is causing the phone to be blocked, based on where you live in the USA.

So, the idea (per the recent Rob Braxman video), is to clone a known IMEI number onto the Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) phone, so that the carrier will see the IMEI (and TAC) number they like and handshake with the Volla 22 phone. One user, out in Colorado, was able to get the Volla 22 phone to work with a specific SIM card from SpeedTalk. So, I ordered a $5 dollar pre-paid SIM card from this company and no luck.

Another user out in Salt Lake City, Utah is having the same issue as myself.
Another part of the issue may be the frequencies/bands here in the USA that are used. For example, 1700 is used here but not in Europe and that band is not part of the frequencies on the Volla 22 Phone.

So, it could be an IMEI issue, as well as a frequency issue. I am also willing to use my phone with a new IMEI (test purposes) to see if the phone is being blocked on Verizon and T-Mobile carriers (and resellers on those networks) because of the coding (i.e. TAC) in the IMEI number itself.

I think it is a dice roll (hit or miss) on using the Volla 22 Phone in the USA. I have had my Volla Phone 22 for over a month and am still not able to make phone calls. What is interesting is that I can use the Verizon SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 (Ultra 5G) in the Volla 22 Phone to send and receive text messages - but no phone calls. As for T-Mobile and SpeedTalk (reseller of T-Mobile), I have had no luck at all.

Volla really needs to find a solution for consumers in the USA, that have purchased the Volla 22 phone - that still cannot make phone calls with it on any US mobile carrier.

Regards,

James
linparda

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

jamesm067 hat geschrieben: Mo 10. Okt 2022, 18:02 Hello,

The Volla 22 Phone is based on the German made Gigaset GS5. Gigaset is a huge manufacturing company in Germany, that is or was part of Siemens at one point.

Anyway, the Gigaset GS5 phone uses a Mediatek G85 board. I am currently trying to find out what the correct firmware for that board, so that I can make an attempt to flash a new IMEI onto that board. I believe that the mobile network carriers are blocking IMEI numbers from the German made Gigaset GS5 (aka Volla 22) phone. At least, that is my view, based on my experiences. The IMEI number includes a TAC number and that TAC number is probably what is causing the phone to be blocked, based on where you live in the USA.

So, the idea (per the recent Rob Braxman video), is to clone a known IMEI number onto the Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) phone, so that the carrier will see the IMEI (and TAC) number they like and handshake with the Volla 22 phone. One user, out in Colorado, was able to get the Volla 22 phone to work with a specific SIM card from SpeedTalk. So, I ordered a $5 dollar pre-paid SIM card from this company and no luck.

Another user out in Salt Lake City, Utah is having the same issue as myself.
Another part of the issue may be the frequencies/bands here in the USA that are used. For example, 1700 is used here but not in Europe and that band is not part of the frequencies on the Volla 22 Phone.

So, it could be an IMEI issue, as well as a frequency issue. I am also willing to use my phone with a new IMEI (test purposes) to see if the phone is being blocked on Verizon and T-Mobile carriers (and resellers on those networks) because of the coding (i.e. TAC) in the IMEI number itself.

I think it is a dice roll (hit or miss) on using the Volla 22 Phone in the USA. I have had my Volla Phone 22 for over a month and am still not able to make phone calls. What is interesting is that I can use the Verizon SIM card from my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 (Ultra 5G) in the Volla 22 Phone to send and receive text messages - but no phone calls. As for T-Mobile and SpeedTalk (reseller of T-Mobile), I have had no luck at all.

Volla really needs to find a solution for consumers in the USA, that have purchased the Volla 22 phone - that still cannot make phone calls with it on any US mobile carrier.

Regards,

James
James,

Wow! Clearly you know quite bit about cell phones and I have to commend your insistence on fighting to use the Volla Phone 22 in the USA! I too really love the Volla OS and the ability to switch to Ubuntu Touch because it is clean, Google free, and I have System 76's Pop OS on my GoTo laptop.

I truly hope that Volla steps up to fix this issue not only for us but for Europeans that travel frequently to the USA. Please keep posting your progress - I would love a solution so that I can buy these phones for myself and my son.

Regards,

Linda
jamesm067

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the response.

Please see the video that Rob Braxman posted on this same issue with IMEI numbers. Rob sells a de-Googled (Chinese made) phone
called the Brax phone and his customers have been dealing with this IMEI issue too. Rob recently posted a video on YouTube on how to flash a Brax phone with a "working IMEI" number from another phone. It sounds like a game the carriers (resellers) are playing with phones that are not part of the fold - so to speak.

Mobile Carrier IMEI Checks are a Consumer Abuse! How to Fight Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgfUklmud3c

I think we need to get Volla to give us the information on how to flash the Volla 22 Phone with an IMEI number that will allow phone calls to work. Volla resells the Gigaset GS5 as their Volla 22 Phone with Volla OS or Ubuntu Touch. This German made phone uses a Mediatek G85 board. But, I have not been able to determine yet what firmware to flash. One has to be careful when flashing a phone, so as not to brick the phone. With that said, we need instructions from Volla on how to perform this flash. Of course, it will be at our own risk and we may or may not get favorable results. But, at this point, I have nothing to lose, as I have a glorified WIFI based device that cannot be used to make phone calls. I think there is also the issue of a missing frequency (1700) that needs to be corrected in future builds of the "Volla Phone".

You are correct to think that any European traveling to the USA with a Volla 22 phone, is going to find that their phone will not work here. Only one person has been able to get the Volla 22 to make phone calls in the USA, using a SpeedTalk SIM card. I tried the same SIM card and no luck. So, it is a hit or miss issue and probably an IMEI and frequency band issue too.

Please feel free to email Volla support for a response. Their email is: support@volla.online.

I have been in touch with a person named Gregor Zawierucha at Volla. Feel free to reach out to him for a response.
We need to get this resolved asap.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,

James
(Massachusetts, USA)
edjec
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

I did receive my SpeedTalk SIM (T-Mobile MVNO), and as I suspected, it also rejected access to the network beyond Emergency Calls. Verizon is now pounding on me at least once a week to upgrade my Windows phone before 12/18/22. They are adamant that the 3G and 4G LTE networks will cease operation on 12/31/22 and that they will not allow any access, including Emergency Calls, after that.

I have located and downloaded the programs to flash the IMEI as Braxman suggests, but unfortunately, the database for the MediaTek board used in the Volla 22 is not included. However, I honestly doubt that flashing the IMEI will provide network service because bands 4 and 66 are not supported in the Volla phones. Without proper hardware radio support, it simply cannot connect.

What is the consensus from other Volla users? Does anyone have FULL access to calls, txts, wifi calls, etc? Is anyone using these phones as their daily driver?
jamesm067

Hi Edjec,

Thanks for your reply. I have been waiting to hear back from you.

I have some information from a user that was able to activate two Volla 22 phones (old SIM cards).

I still want to try to flash the Gigaset GS5 (aka Volla 22) phone with its Mediatek Helios G85 based firmware. But, I just don't know which firmware package to use or if the one needed is even out there and available for public download.

Gregor and the team at Volla should at least test out the flashing of IMEI numbers and then tell us which firmware package is safe to use, with the right USB cable (blue or black colored end for USB 3.0 or higher).

And, Volla really needs to get Gigaset phones in the future, with FULL FREQUENCY BAND coverage, and, to actively test their phones across the USA, based on the changing protocols of: Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T (and their resellers). The Volla phone should be a robust privacy phone, that is TRULY able to work on global networks, EASILY, without issue.

I have had my Volla Phone for a month and a half now and I still cannot make phone calls with it.

Edjec, please send me an email on this and we can email offline (as well) on this topic.

Regards,

Jim

(Masssachusetts, USA)
Zuletzt geändert von jamesm067 am So 16. Okt 2022, 09:48, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
edjec
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

jamesm067 hat geschrieben: Edjec, please send me an email on this and we can email offline (as well) on this topic.
Hi Jim,

I sent you an email privately. You should remove your email addresses from the previous post so they aren't harvested by spammers.

Best,
Ed
jamesm067

Hi Ed,

Received email ok. Good point. Will do.

Regards,

Jim
jamesm067

Hello,

Here is the latest update on my Volla 22 phone.

I am currently on vacation up in Maine and have traveled from Presque Isle, Maine on RT. 1 to Fort Kent, Maine and down to Eastport and Lubec Maine - along the Canadian border with the province of New Brunswick and have had no luck up here on either the US carrier networks or while roaming on the Canadian networks.

I did not expect any success, but, I remained ever hopeful.

It would appear that there are only a few users that are having success with the Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) phone, in the USA, and, those users are based out of the Golden, Colorado area.

But, for the user in Salt Lake City (SLC), Utah and the user from Massachusetts (myself) - nothing.

I have tried adjusting various settings on the Volla 22 and am currently using a T-Mobile SIM card and a SpeedTalk SIM card.

I have never been able to send or receive text messages with those SIM cards or to even make one phone call.

The only time I was able to send text messages and receive text messages, was when I inserted the active Verizon 5G SIM card, from my Samsung Galaxy Note Ultra 5G phone, into the Volla phone. But, even then, I was never able to make a phone call.

I was thinking that maybe I could clone the IMEI numbers from my Verizon SIM, into the Volla 22 phone (for test purposes) by flashing the Mediatek H85 firmware on the Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) phone. But, that may or may not work and it may void any warranty I have on the Volla 22 phone.

Overall, I think it all comes down to the lack of frequencies on the Volla 22 phone, for this phone to truly and properly work in the USA.

Another thing, I have been very disappointed in the lack of troubleshooting offered to me by Volla customer service. The goal for customer service is to work with each customer until their issue is resolved. I think Volla knows the answer and has been quiet on what is happening with Volla 22 users in the USA.

I would love to hear that there is some software glitch on my Volla OS that needs to be fixed and here are the steps to fix it, or, send the phone back and we will fix it, or, we could run a remote session with the Volla 22, to fix the issue. Unfortunately, there is only silence on the issue.

I think the last response I received from Volla support email was that: "there are some users enjoying success with the Volla 22 phone in the USA".

Another thing, there are no YouTube videos (to date) of Volla 22 users in the USA, that are actively using their Volla 22 phone to make and receive phone calls and to send and receive text messages.

Last night I received an email from a Volla 22 user, that lives in Golden, Colorado and is actively using the Volla 22 phone there. This person has been very kind and understanding to my issue with the Volla 22 phone and has provided a link to me, that may speak volumes. See link below.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-ch ... igaset-gs5

If you look at the frequencies/bands on that website, you will understand how important it is to have the "right frequencies".

As many of us now know, the Volla 22 phone uses the same hardware as the Gigaset GS5 phone.

Overall, I am disapointedt that this phone would not work for me. I really like the dual SIM card slots, memory card slot, removable battery and multiboot and privacy features of the phone. But, without proper frequency coverage, then what is the point???

I am probably going to have to send my phone back for a refund.

Volla has not resolved my issue and they are NOT actively working with me to resolve this issue.

In addition, Volla is NOT telling consumers from the USA to NOT buy this phone unless you live in a certain area in the USA, where it will work until 12-31-22.

Volla runs a risk of having a lot of disappointed and upset customers from the USA and perhaps Canada, unless this issue is resolved. And, if this issue cannot be resolved, due to the hardware and frequencies available on the Volla 22 (or Gigaset GS5), then Volla should STOP selling phones to the USA - unless you live in a certain area of Colorado. That working area in Golden, Colorado may stop working on 12-31-22, due to changes coming to the mobile carrier's, here in the USA.

Are there any Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) users from Europe or elsewhere that have traveled to the USA (excluding Golden, Colorado) and have been able to use the Volla 22 phone to make phone calls and send and receive text (SMS) messages????

Regards,

James
linparda

jamesm067 hat geschrieben: Di 18. Okt 2022, 14:06 Hello,

Here is the latest update on my Volla 22 phone.

I am currently on vacation up in Maine and have traveled from Presque Isle, Maine on RT. 1 to Fort Kent, Maine and down to Eastport and Lubec Maine - along the Canadian border with the province of New Brunswick and have had no luck up here on either the US carrier networks or while roaming on the Canadian networks.

I did not expect any success, but, I remained ever hopeful.

It would appear that there are only a few users that are having success with the Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) phone, in the USA, and, those users are based out of the Golden, Colorado area.

But, for the user in Salt Lake City (SLC), Utah and the user from Massachusetts (myself) - nothing.

I have tried adjusting various settings on the Volla 22 and am currently using a T-Mobile SIM card and a SpeedTalk SIM card.

I have never been able to send or receive text messages with those SIM cards or to even make one phone call.

The only time I was able to send text messages and receive text messages, was when I inserted the active Verizon 5G SIM card, from my Samsung Galaxy Note Ultra 5G phone, into the Volla phone. But, even then, I was never able to make a phone call.

I was thinking that maybe I could clone the IMEI numbers from my Verizon SIM, into the Volla 22 phone (for test purposes) by flashing the Mediatek H85 firmware on the Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) phone. But, that may or may not work and it may void any warranty I have on the Volla 22 phone.

Overall, I think it all comes down to the lack of frequencies on the Volla 22 phone, for this phone to truly and properly work in the USA.

Another thing, I have been very disappointed in the lack of troubleshooting offered to me by Volla customer service. The goal for customer service is to work with each customer until their issue is resolved. I think Volla knows the answer and has been quiet on what is happening with Volla 22 users in the USA.

I would love to hear that there is some software glitch on my Volla OS that needs to be fixed and here are the steps to fix it, or, send the phone back and we will fix it, or, we could run a remote session with the Volla 22, to fix the issue. Unfortunately, there is only silence on the issue.

I think the last response I received from Volla support email was that: "there are some users enjoying success with the Volla 22 phone in the USA".

Another thing, there are no YouTube videos (to date) of Volla 22 users in the USA, that are actively using their Volla 22 phone to make and receive phone calls and to send and receive text messages.

Last night I received an email from a Volla 22 user, that lives in Golden, Colorado and is actively using the Volla 22 phone there. This person has been very kind and understanding to my issue with the Volla 22 phone and has provided a link to me, that may speak volumes. See link below.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-ch ... igaset-gs5

If you look at the frequencies/bands on that website, you will understand how important it is to have the "right frequencies".

As many of us now know, the Volla 22 phone uses the same hardware as the Gigaset GS5 phone.

Overall, I am disapointedt that this phone would not work for me. I really like the dual SIM card slots, memory card slot, removable battery and multiboot and privacy features of the phone. But, without proper frequency coverage, then what is the point???

I am probably going to have to send my phone back for a refund.

Volla has not resolved my issue and they are NOT actively working with me to resolve this issue.

In addition, Volla is NOT telling consumers from the USA to NOT buy this phone unless you live in a certain area in the USA, where it will work until 12-31-22.

Volla runs a risk of having a lot of disappointed and upset customers from the USA and perhaps Canada, unless this issue is resolved. And, if this issue cannot be resolved, due to the hardware and frequencies available on the Volla 22 (or Gigaset GS5), then Volla should STOP selling phones to the USA - unless you live in a certain area of Colorado. That working area in Golden, Colorado may stop working on 12-31-22, due to changes coming to the mobile carrier's, here in the USA.

Are there any Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) users from Europe or elsewhere that have traveled to the USA (excluding Golden, Colorado) and have been able to use the Volla 22 phone to make phone calls and send and receive text (SMS) messages????

Regards,

James
Hello James,

I have to say I really do admire your persistence. I was hoping to watch this thread and find that Volla was jumping in and helping resolve the issue in the USA., but apparently, they have chosen to ignore the issues. As a result, I will not be buying the two Volla 22 phones that I was hoping to purchase.

But on to a more positive note, what phone will you buy instead? Have you done any research? I have been looking at several Lineage OS phones with 5G such as the OnePlus. Motorola has a few as well.

Best,

Linda
jamesm067

Hi Linda,

Please send me an email, so we can talk more off forum.

Regards,

Jim
Zuletzt geändert von jamesm067 am Do 20. Okt 2022, 05:18, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Zurück zu „Volla Phone“