Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
edjec
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

James, Linda,

I've had my V22 for about a month and a half now as well and have yet to successfully connect to any US carrier. The best I get is to be allowed "Emergency Calls Only" from T-Mobile, but AT&T and Verizon will not even allow that.

James, I see you had no luck connecting with roaming in Canada. There are other posts from Canadian users who have had some spotty connection, but I would guess that all of North America will be transitioning from the older bands to 4G VoLTE and 5G shortly. Without the proper band support, the Volla phones will cease functioning.

This is truly a shame. I have spent the better part of this year researching degoogled alternate OS secure phones, and in my opinion, the Volla was the best option. All of the remaining European phones have the same band support issues. The US-manufactured phones are either unbelievably expensive or vaporware.

My oldest son has an F(x)tec Cosmos, but he can’t use it for communications. It is strictly his hand-held computer. So, what’s left?

That wasn’t a rhetorical question.
edjec
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla 22 Multiboot running Volla OS, Ubuntu, & Sailfish. Well, I did have UT and Sailfish until the VOS 12 update...

Re: Cannot get Volla Phone 22 configured with Verizon APN in USA, to send or receive phone calls?

It is now almost 2 months since I received my Volla 22 and to date, I have not been able to activate with any US carrier. Several other US Volla owners and I have been waiting for a solution from Hallo Welt, but there has been nothing as of yet.

To be sure, the Volla 22 is a very nice product and the Volla OS is well-designed & implemented, smooth, secure, and functional as a daily driver. But since in the US, we can’t make phone calls or send text messages, it sort of falls short. No?

I came across this today while searching for information on the coming network shutdowns:

Verizon has already phased out its 2G networks as of 2020 and will complete its 3G CDMA network shutdown on December 31, 2022. (Also 4G LTE devices not supporting 4G VoLTE)
T-Mobile plans to sunset its 2G network on December 31, 2022.
AT&T shut down its 2G and 3G networks long ago.

Neither T-Mobile nor Verizon will allow any new activation of devices on these networks.

There are a few Volla users in the US that are still able to use the phone for calls and texts, but this ability will no doubt cease in December, as the Volla 22 does not support the US 4G VoLTE bands required. The clock is ticking.

FYI: here is a compilation of 2G & 3G shutdowns globally Global Network Sunsets

Volla - we are running out of time. Your U.S. customers need a quick solution.
Volla

Thanks for backing our project at Kickstarter.

Please note that you need a mobile service provider that uses frequencies supported by the Volla Phone 22.

GSM/2G: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
UMTS/3G: 900 / 2100
TDD/LTE/4G: 2300 / 2600
FDD/LTE/4G: 700 / 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600

It seems that the 700 MHz fits, which is probably used mainly in rural areas.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-s ... SA_id77933

When you update APN settings, please remember to enable them. If necessary, disconnect the device from the mobile network and initiate a new registration.

https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/
edjec

I’m sorry, but your last reply completely avoided all of the issues I had detailed.

As for “backing your project”, I “purchased” a supposedly working phone that is presented for sale on your company website and that I had been assured in writing would function in the U.S. Upon receiving the phone, it was blocked from activation on any U.S. carrier’s networks.

Apparently, Volla’s assurances that the phone would work were based only on out-of-date and incomplete feedback from previous users. What carrier’s networks was the Volla able to connect to – AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon? Did the user install a new SIM card requiring activation or swap a SIM from another working phone? What networks were the users activated on -2G, 3G, CDMA, UMTS, 4G LTE? Was the user in an urban or rural area? Did the Volla pass an IMEI check? All of these criteria are critical to know.

The Volla phone’s frequencies were again unnecessarily repeated. I feel that this is somewhat disingenuous, because as I detailed in my post from Sun 18. Sep 2022, 02:13, detailing frequency overlap and generalization, stating frequencies in this manner is irrelevant.

An example is the 700 MHz bandwidth. There are seven 700 MHz bands in use for cellular communications. Which 700 MHz band/s does the Volla 22 support? Only specifications detailing the actual band designations are relevant. Also, the UpLink frequency is generally stated first in NAR specifications, but I have seen European specifications stating the DownLink as the generalized frequency.

Is the 2100 frequency in the Volla specs an UpLink or DownLink reference? Which band does it refer to? These bands utilize the 2100 MHz frequencies: b1, b4, b65, b66, and the now obsolete band b10. In the North American Region, bands 4 and 66 are used. Which 2100 MHz band does the Volla 22 use? Whichever it is, my Volla 22 won’t connect to it! Stating the frequency coverage on the phone as 2100 MHz means nothing.

Next is your reference to the APN settings. I’m at a loss to understand what this has to do with activating a cellular connection. The APN settings are to allow the carrier network to connect to the internet. This is not required to make phone calls or texts. This is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

And finally using the Verizon network map as proof of coverage is completely without merit. This map only indicates 4G and 5G network coverage. Verizon is decommissioning by December, or in some areas already has shut down, the 2G and 3G networks and does not allow any new connections to them. The Volla 22 does not utilize the NAR 4G or 5G networks, as it appears to only connect to 2G networks in the NAR. SIM swaps on the Verizon network result in an immediate IMEI check and blocked activation.

As far as I can determine, only T-Mobile is allowing the Volla phones to connect to 2G, and then only by using a swapped SIM card. All U.S. carriers, including T-Mobile, reject any attempts at a new SIM activation. Factor in that T-Mobile will decommission its 2G network this coming December as well, at which time there will be no possibility of a “swapped SIM” connection.

So where are we at this point?

Well, I for one, and others that I am aware of, are extremely dissatisfied with Volla's lack of customer support, poor communications, and most of all a product that has never functioned. I am still waiting for a response from Gregor in “customer support,” since Oct. 12th, and while I was communicating and receiving responses from Dr. Wurzer until I purchased the phone, I have not yet received a response from an email dated 10/20/2022.

I have four questions for Volla that I would like direct, succinct answers to:
1. Where are you with adding NAR bands to the Volla 22 radio – how soon?
2. Is it even possible to open additional bands with the radio built into the Volla 22?
3. If you (or any Volla employees) personally purchased an item and it failed to work out of the box, how long would you wait for a satisfactory resolution?
4. Finally, barring a positive outcome on the first two questions, how do we request an RMA and refund for a non-functioning product?

This issue is not the fault of your North American customers for lack of due diligence, as you seem to be alluding. It is fully on Volla/Hallo Welt Systeme. You offered it for sale, allowed for sales to the NAR, accepted our funds, and shipped a non-functioning product. It is Volla’s responsibility to correct this issue, either by providing a functional product or a refund.

It is truly a shame that this issue has come to this point. The Volla 22 is a solid phone very well integrated with the Volla OS and dual-boot functions seamlessly. I was very impressed with this device – until I tried to make a phone call…
Volla

Dear Volla users,

We have confirmations of several users for using a Volla Phone device with T-Mobile and Mint. For AT&T we have only the confirmation for mobile data connection.

However, these users may live in a location that uses the 700 frequency, which is more commonly used in rural areas, with some urban regions using a higher frequency.

I personally visited our manufacturing facility on Tuesday and spoke with the engineers about supporting additional frequency bands for the US.

We are also discussing in the development team the possibility of enabling additional frequency bands on the software side.

Enjoy the weekend.
lawrence

To add another data point (and with apologies for the contradiction for a Google free phone): a Google Fi SIM is giving me text and voice in San Francisco, but only an Edge (2G?) data connection.
Volla

Dear US users,

We develop our products for and with our users all over the world. It is motivating that our users in the USA help, seek a solution and give tips for getting a Volla Phone up and running in the USA.

The supported frequency bands of a smartphone model cannot be extended by updating the operating system. The frequency bands are determined by the chipset and the device drivers for the modem.

The reports from users and our potential distributor in the USA have encouraged us to offer our Volla Phone 22 again for the USA with the reference to the supported frequencies as a reward for our crowdfunding. Confirmations so far had been for T-Mobile and Mint for telephony and data transmission. For AT&T, we only have confirmation for data transmission, which means that IP telephony can be used.

We are in dialog with our partners and suppliers for hardware development and manufacturing to better serve the mobile networks in the US. It is more likely to come down to a new Volla Phone model. But we are also looking at other options.

Thank you for all the dedicated users who help with their experiences in our forum.

Enjoy the day!
edjec

This is great news and the solution can’t come soon enough! Can you give us any idea of the estimated time schedule for the US/CA/MX (NAR) version Volla Phone?

The reason I ask is that starting December 1st, the carriers will begin to shut off service for any phone not NAR 4G VoLTE band compliant, as they will not continue to offer service past the monthly billing date. For example, my shut-off date is December 18th. December 31st is the decommissioning deadline for both Verizon and T-Mobile. We need to make immediate plans for continued coverage before those dates.

Can you provide more detailed information?

Thank you for understanding how important personal data security is for those of us on this side of the pond.
tmcco

Thank you Volla Team for considering the needs of the Volla Phone 22 owners in the United States. The news of the Volla team looking toward a Volla Phone 22 developed for the US market and US phone carriers is very welcomed by those of us who looked toward the Volla Phone 22 as a viable long term phone option. As the owner of two Volla 22 phones, I thank the Volla team for such an excellent phone. I echo others in this forum requesting expedited project development due to imminent changes in the US Phone carrier protocols. It is very possible these changes will render the Volla Phone 22 not usable as a phone in the US market. It has been published that these changes in US Phone carrier protocols will take place by the end of December 2022.

I understand changes in technology take time, and so I urge the Volla team keep those of us having invested in Volla Phone 22 in the United States and Canada (as well as other locations with connectivity concerns because of phone carrier issues) in "the loop" and as informed as possible with respect to this development.

If there is anything I can do with respect to testing or helping the process of development, please let me know.

Again, thank you Volla Team for such an excellent product.
Nate

I live in the US. I bought this phone on indiegogo a few days ago because it was what I wanted to de google. Then I read this thread and immediately cancelled my order.

Maybe the next phone will be the real "hello world" phone.

Until then, I'll just get a Google pixel phone and install the graphene OS. That'll have to do for now. We'll see what the future brings.

Zurück zu „Volla Phone“