Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
Cedric

Re: Problems with Volla Phone in Canada

Hello from Winnipeg, Manitoba,

I'm afraid I have no solutions to bring, but rather my own little problem for which I seek assistance. I acquired my Volla phone just about a week ago, and knowing about issues from a couple posts on the Indiegogo page, I was crossing my fingers when I first popped in my Fido SIM card. Luckily, everything worked right off the bat! That is, everything but sending and receiving MMS. I've checked the MMS and APN settings and everything seems right. Anyone have an idea what might be going on?
Dennis_K
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12

Follow-up: Problems with Volla Phone in Canada (i.e. voice service)

Good day all,

I can now say that I finally have voice service, but had to switch to a new carrier to make it so. I'm now with Koodo Mobile (i.e. Telus), although at the beginning, it didn't work either. (I currently live east of Toronto, in Whitby, Ontario). If it helps anyone, here are the details:

- before I went to try other carriers, I did install all the recent VollaOS (10) updates, up to and including February 1, 2022, as well as updated all the SimpleMobile tools via F-Droid to the latest versions. It was only after this extensive circus that I managed to get consistent connectivity to my MS account e-mail / calendar / contacts (via home wifi);

- I went to a Fido / Rogers store initially, and tried a SIM card from one of the clerks (they didn't have a store-designated dummy SIM), and my VollaPhone was immediately able (after a reboot) to make a voice call - so that was good;

- then I went to a nearby Koodo / Telus / Public Mobile store, and again, used the SIM card from one of the clerks (as they couldn't use their store-designated mobile SIM for this purpose), and again, the VollaPhone was able to received voice calls (i.e. it rang - which it never did before);

- I went ahead to get a Koodo SIM card and account, waited for about an hour for the number to port from my previous carrier, and then installed the SIM and turned it on. Also, the voice calling service STILL didn't work, which I found bizarre. I waited until the morning, thinking that maybe it would take a few hours to activate properly, and still nothing;

- went back to the store the next day, and aside from confirming that the APN information that was showing up on the phone was correct, they couldn't help any further, and so got Koodo customer support to call me back later in the evening. They did call, then spending a long time with Koodo Technical Support over the phone. Initially customer support just wanted me to re-set the network settings (i.e. wifi, bluetooth, mobile, etc.), which I did, but that didn't do anything different;

- when checking the SIM status (which was installed in SIM slot 1), it was noticed that some identifying information tech support was asking about (i.e. the ICC ID), was NOT indicated, although there was a blank field for such when we looked at the info for SIM slot 2 (i.e. where I had originally put a micro SD memory card);

- we switched the nano-SIM from slot 1 to slot 2 (it actually just 'sits' within a template of the larger slot on it's own - no micro-SIM adapter required), and rebooted the phone. It was THEN that I was able to receive voice calls - odd. In addition, what was different this time that was I got a VoLTE symbol at the top right of the phone status bar (black VoLTE letters in a white rectangular box), which was never there before;

- but in checking the info for SIM slot 2 at that point, we noticed that the ICC ID field was blank -- essentially all the data fields that we had seen for SIM slot 1, were just repeated for SIM slot 2 - and it was less information display than the number of fields visible when slot 2 was blank);

- we went to put the nano-SIM back into SIM slot 1, and now voice calls were able to WORK, and again, the information that was displayed about SIM slot 1 was the same as it was originally. Again, the VoLTE symbol in the phone status bar remained, which was good.

I was disappointed that it seemed that the presence of the micro-SD card in SIM slot 2 may have been interfering with the ability to make voice calls, as I really needed the storage on the phone. I later put the micro-SD card back into the phone (which had files on it), re-booted the phone, and voice calls still work, which has now been the case for a day.

I was with VirginPlus / Bell before, and try as I might (for nearly 3 weeks), I could never get voice calls to work, including reviewing the Access Point Names (APN) info on the phone, and comparing with on-line reference material. VirginPlus / Bell eventually abandoned me, saying it was the phone, and not them (although originally they said it was a 'network location issue', and were working on it, but never called back and closed the service ticket on me, twice, without notification).

Zurück zu „Volla OS“