Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
Dennis_K
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12

E-mail / calendar / contacts synchronization: Hotmail (Microsoft)

Hello Volla Fans,

New owner here, and really need the community's help. Just received my VollaPhone this past week (mid-February 2022), and have already run into set-up issues.

I'm trying to synchronize my hotmail (i.e. Microsoft) account with the VollaPhone in order to get e-mail, calendar and contacts all synchronized. I initially used 'Exchange' as the server option when setting up e-mail, and it worked, although e-mails were slow in being updated as they came in. Contacts 'eventually' appeared in the native app after about 24-36 hours or so (weird). Calendar entries never showed up at all. (I normally use a full version of Outlook on my home desktop to use with e-mail / calendar / contacts without issue - and my old mobile - a Blackberry Z30 - worked very well and without issue for years in this regard).

(I should say at this stage that I am using the VollaPhone with my home's wifi - I can only get text via the cellular signal for now; no voice. Still am working on that problem with Virgin / Bell).

I set the e-mail notifications to 'automatic', and some e-mails came in, but eventually they stopped, and the e-mail app told me that it couldn't sign in, and that I should 'Login' - but clicking that option asked for my (account) password, which when entered, just gave me the same error message. So, I decided to remove the hotmail account from the phone and start again (including a reboot after the account removal). I first tried the DavX set-up option, thinking I would get better results, but to no avail. Then I tried to setup via the Exchange option again (the same as the first time), but now I can't set up at all - I keep getting the same error message: ' ! Couldn't finish. You don't have permission to sync with this server. Contact your server's administrator for more information.'

All I can see on the account setup screen is the following information:

Username (which is entered correctly)
Password (which is dotted out, but entered correctly)
Cilent certificate - none (there is a button to SELECT, but it doesn't do anything -- just flashes the screen once)
Mobile Device ID - starts with 'android' then a series of numbers
Server - m.hotmail.com
Port - 443
Security type - SSL/TLS

Can anyone assist please?

Thanks,
Dennis
snabulus
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: iPhone 6S PLUS/ Blu G90 Pro w/ Android 11

Re: E-mail / calendar / contacts synchronization: Hotmail (Microsoft)

I have a different email setup, so I can only speculate. However, I can think of a couple possibilities.
1. Hotmail is now a property of Outlook, not LDAP or Exchange. If that is an option in the setup (or Office 365), you could try that.
2. You can download Outlook on the Aurora Store. If you do that, there is going to be a privacy tradeoff. However, it will be with Microsoft rather than Google. How that works with Volla's internal apps is anyone's guess.
Dennis_K
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12

Follow-up: E-mail / calendar / contacts synchronization: Hotmail (Microsoft)

Just wanted to follow-up with the community on the current status of the synchronization issue I described earlier.

I did managed to eventually get all of e-mail, contacts and calendar from my Microsoft Account to synchronize with the VollaPhone, after several re-boot and a few factory reset attempts. The greatest difficulty was getting the calendar to synchronize at all, and then to maintain the connection. (All of this was done via the home wifi, as I was still not able to get voice-calls via cellular, and wasn't sure if the synchronization issue may have had to do with inconsistent cellular connectivity).

I can't say specifically what allowed the synchronization to occur successfully. If it helps anyone, I did the following:

- I updated to the latest version of VollaOS - apparently the phone I received was missing the latest 5 updates, where I installed each one sequentially, in chronological order;

- I also checked F-Droid for the latest app updates, which I completed for all the SimpleMobile tools, as relevant to e-mail / calendar / contacts apps;

- I re-booted the phone (off / on) after all the updates mentioned above were complete;

- I later did a factory re-set, and tried to re-establish connection to the Exchange server, which succeeded, but initially not all three of the apps stayed connected (the calendar and contacts sync's were particularly problematic). I later deleted the account connection, re-set the phone again, re-established connection to the Exchange server and then eventually all three apps connected, and have stayed connected since (i.e. since about last week).

I'm happy that I'm able to get connection, but compared to my previous Blackberry Z30, synchronization is quite delayed (particularly for e-email and especially for the calendar), which can be a bit of a pain.

Hope the above helps others with the same the difficulty.

Zurück zu „Volla OS“