Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
gk2339
VollaPhone mit: Volla OS 12

Cannot boot into Ubuntu Touch after install on X23

After upgrading my X23 to VollaOS 12 (12-20230911-STABLE-vidofnir), I followed the instructions at https://volla.online/en/faqs/ "How can I install another operating system?" (and, for lack of X23-specific instructions, ignoring the warning in the first line). It seems that Ubuntu is successfully installed on the SIM card. On reboot, it appears on the boot menu, and I can select it using the volume keys. However, the phone still boots into VollaOS.

Has anyone succeeded in booting Ubuntu as a second OS on the X23? Is it even possible yet?
franco_bez

Re: Cannot boot into Ubuntu Touch after install on X23

Yes dual boot with Ubuntu Touch is working on my X23.

In the boot menu there is no touch screen support.
You must select the OS with the volume keys and confirm the selection with the power key.
Otherwise the default OS boots after a timeout of 4 seconds.

If Ubuntu Touch doesn't boot at all, maybe the installation on the SD Card was incomplete.
You could try to reformat the SD card and reinstall Ubuntu Touch.
Haff
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: Volla Phone X23

On my X23 the Ubuntu Touch install failed /boot/bootimg-(can't remember full name) no such file or directory. The installer said "OK".
Rebooted, nothing but a grey screen.

Went into recovery and booted back to Volla, the SD card is no longer seen in Volla boot manager. Even after removing the failed install, the phone boots to the grey screen. Removed, then boots OK.

Re-formatted SD card on PC.
Now Volla ROM installer refuses to detect the SD card at all. Gone through 2 SD cards now. They just won't recognise?!

Factory reset - still won't recognise the SD cards.

Any help here @Volla?
wac
VollaPhone mit: Multiboot VollaOS und Ubuntu Touch
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: X23

I hope cross posting is allowed and that I don't get banned for breaking the rules. If there are new or existing rules about this then please feel free to delete this post.

I detailed the exact same issue here.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=945
franco_bez hat geschrieben: Mo 18. Sep 2023, 21:06 You could try to reformat the SD card and reinstall Ubuntu Touch.
Do you format via the volla phone OS? Or via a linux computer?
Haff

wac hat geschrieben: Di 19. Sep 2023, 12:44 I hope cross posting is allowed and that I don't get banned for breaking the rules. If there are new or existing rules about this then please feel free to delete this post.

I detailed the exact same issue here.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=945
franco_bez hat geschrieben: Mo 18. Sep 2023, 21:06 You could try to reformat the SD card and reinstall Ubuntu Touch.
Do you format via the volla phone OS? Or via a linux computer?
Both ways - At first I used the phone to install the android boot sector, then partition for system and another for user. The install failed with the same error as per your crosspost.
Reformatted on my linux, GPT partiton scheme, then removed all partitions, hoping I could use the phone to re-format - but no dice. System Storage and ROM install won't even see there is an SD card at all. BTW, yes the SD's work fine (they are BRAND new) in my Linux PC.

I think the UT installer for X23 is fundamentally broken.

Apologies for the edits...
franco_bez

I had some trouble formatting the card with GPT bootsector on the Vollaphone X23, so I did this job on my Ubuntu DesktopPC.
The creation of the Partions and the downliad and installation of Ubuntu Touch was done on the X23.
I had the FAQ pages open on the PC and followed the instructions step by step.

That's how it worked for me.
gk2339

Thank you all for your help and insights; as a first-time poster, I'm pleasantly surprised to get so many replies so quickly. Time is short at the moment, and I hope to do some more testing early next week; meanwhile...

@franco_bez: Thanks, at least I know that success is possible and that I'm not on a wild-goose chase.

@Haff: I got a bit further than the grey screen, but it's useful to know that there exists a recovery mode, in case I should need it. How does one invoke it?

@wac: My problem is slightly different (I don't get your error messages) but Volla's comment at the bottom of your thread makes me think that perhaps I should not have left the partition labels null.

I've tried re-loading Ubuntu on the card a couple of times, and I've tried the installation procedure several times, but I haven't yet reformatted the card (although there is nothing to suggest that this is the problem).
Haff

@gk2339 You're welcome, we are hear to help each other. To get into recovery mode power off device, then hold down power + Volume UP until a menu appears.

My biggest issue remains - once an SD card has a failed install, the SD card, no matter how one formats it or whatever has never again been recognised at all by Storage or ROM installer. What gives? Even after 3 factory resets, any SD card previosly used for UT install (which failed) will never be recognised again.

This for one tells me that the factory reset isn't really a factory reset - *something* such as a the SD card's serial or some such is being retained and then blocked.
wac
VollaPhone mit: Multiboot VollaOS und Ubuntu Touch
sonstiges Handy/iPhone mit Android Version/iOS Version: X23

Haff hat geschrieben: Mi 20. Sep 2023, 09:31 @gk2339 You're welcome, we are hear to help each other. To get into recovery mode power off device, then hold down power + Volume UP until a menu appears.

My biggest issue remains - once an SD card has a failed install, the SD card, no matter how one formats it or whatever has never again been recognised at all by Storage or ROM installer. What gives? Even after 3 factory resets, any SD card previosly used for UT install (which failed) will never be recognised again.

This for one tells me that the factory reset isn't really a factory reset - *something* such as a the SD card's serial or some such is being retained and then blocked.
I bought a new 1TB sd card. Installed it and now have the same issues. The x23 won't allow it to be used. Grey Screen Of Death.
franco_bez

Did you try your SD cards only in the phone?
Might be a good idea to use a PC, preferably a Linux PC, to reformat the SD card.

Zurück zu „Ubuntu Touch“