Forumsregeln
Before creating a topic or post, please follow our Binding Forum Rules.
daveroo

Problems with Volla Phone in Canada

Hi,

Before ordering a Volla phone I was sure I'd determined that it was compatible with local frequencies on the west coast of Canada (B5 on Koodo and telus, and B5 and B7 on telus) and I'm able to connect with either Koodo or telus (strong signal and either 4G or LTE). But I'm only able to send/receive text message and use internet (web browsing works). I can't send or receive phone calls. I upgraded to Android 10, and I compared phone info between my current phone, Google Pixel 4, and the Volla phone (using *#*#4636#*#* to get details). And I can see that data is "connected" and Voice is "in service". One difference I've noticed is that, by default, the "mobile measurement info" section shows LTE on my Pixel and GSM on the Volla phone. I experimented with changing the preferred network type on the Volla phone and was able to get "LTE" showing up in the "mobile measurement info", but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Also, the IMS status is "unregistered" on the Volla phone, and "registered" on the Pixel 4 (which gives Voice over LTE). So I'm guessing that this could be an issue with Voice over LTE not being available on the Volla phone.

I've spoken with Koodo and telus and went to a local company that specializes in telephony, and they all said that it should be working.

I don't understand cellular communications well enough to take this any further so I'm hoping that someone here can offer some suggestions.
whatever654

Re: Problems with Volla Phone in Canada

I am with Virgin Mobile in the GTA (which uses Bell infrastructure, I think they use B7). Got my Volla Phone earlier this year.
First, I needed my provider (Virgin) to change my IEMI numbers with them. I don't know if that applies to all providers (maybe depends on your contract?). Before they did that I could not get any calls.
I tried with Ubuntu Touch, telephony (calls, text, mobile data) didn't work at all.
Then switched to Volla OS (when it was still version 9). I got VoLTE - calls, text messages, and mobile data. No problem.
Later I upgraded to Volla OS 10 - again, no problem.
HTH.
daveroo

Hi,

When I went to the telus office I asked if the IMEI had to be updated and they said no. But maybe they're mistaken about that (it kind of makes sense that it should be updated). I also wasn't able to get voLTE working. I'll go back to them with the information you've provided and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks much.
daveroo

I tried again with the cell provider here, they reset the SIM registration, and I started the Volla phone, and they could see that the IMEI was correct. But still no voice - calling or receiving.
vincent.moroz

Interesting conversation. I was with Telus and could text/internet but not make or receive calls with my Volla. Same issue with Virgin (my current provider). How did you get Virgin to deal with your IMEI? Presently my Volla is denied connection to Virgin's network and I was forced to buy another phone to get service. Would love to be able to use my Volla again.
vincent.moroz

I should note I was able to use my Volla on Fido until they dropped B5 in June.
daveroo

My friend also got the phone and he's with Virgin Mobile, and he has the same problem.

My contract with Koodo was up this month so I thought I'd try Telus, hoping that maybe an unregistered SIM might make a difference (they also have better data plans than Koodo now). But it didn't make any difference... I still can't make any calls even though I can see that the voice and data connections are active. The only thing I can think of is that it's possible that VoLTE isn't working, and maybe that's needed.
whatever654

Vincent - how did I changed my IMEI with Virgin Mobile?
First you need to recorded your IMEI numbers. You can see it under Settings -> about Phone. If you don't see these under settings then the phone cannot detect its IMEI and that needs to be resolved with HWS how to get that working. Another option is to dial *#06# (this worked for me with Ubuntu Touch).
You'll see two IMEI numbers. Then I called Virgin Mobile support and asked them to change the IMEI number on my contract to be the first of these. That was all. After they did that I got VoLTE, text and mobile data.
vincent.moroz

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems strange they needed to activate the IMEI, it must be related to the Volla being European. I've had two other phones I've used on the Virgin account without issue swapping the SIMM around. Thanks again, I will call Virgin and see what they can do for me.
vincent.moroz

I didn't follow up with Virgin Mobile to setup my IMEI. Instead I went back to looking at budget carriers that might have the right bands (B5 and B7). I found Primus which runs on Rogers network and has very competitive rates. According to the Primus rep they have full access to Rogers network without restriction of bands, unlike Fido which has very few wireless bands.

As I was getting ready to switch to Primus I received an offer from Rogers, switched to Rogers, and found their service does support the Volla phone. I have voice, MMS and data. I only switched to Rogers over Primus as they offered me almost the same rates for their Infinite plan as I could get on Primus with less data. This was a clever ploy by Rogers to gain back customers they had lost, like me.

Try one of the above with your Volla.

Zurück zu „Volla OS“